Purchase your passport for Grit, Grace, Grub - Restaurant Week!

Starting a Business in Gallatin

Achieving a successful business venture is a challenging task.  Whether you are new to the area, a first time business owner, or a seasoned local ready to expand, the requirements of starting or expanding can be very demanding. Learn the area, demographic, and business climate through resources like the Chamber’s annual City Guide and Business DirectoryMTIDA‘s annual Community Data Profile, and the Gallatin EDA’s Annual Report and Marketing Guide. Utilize the resources, information, and links below to find the steps needed to start and/or grow in Gallatin. 

Our team is well equipped to answer your questions and offer referrals to help lead you in the direction you may need for developing a business plan, obtaining financial assistance, finding real estate, and helping you get your business the licenses and permits needed to operate. If you have additional questions about starting or growing a business in Gallatin, please don’t hestiate to contact us at (615) 452-4000 or kim@gallatintn.org


Tennessee Small Business Development Center

For over 30 years, the Tennessee Small Business Development Center (TSBDC) network has been empowering small business owners, entrepreneurs, and individuals with a business idea to innovate new products and services that compete in the global marketplace. They have a network of certified professional business counselors at 14 various locations across the state; 1 is an affilate office, and 1 is their online center – available 24/7. Fortunately for Gallatin business owners, one of those locations is right here in our city!

Located on the campus of Volunteer State Community College in the 300 Building Nashville Pike, Office 103C, Gallatin, they provide small business start-up services including, but not limited to: business plan development, finanical planning assistatnce, marketing plan development, sources of capital, and social media guidance. Additionally, the Gallatin TSBDC office provides exisiting businesses assistance including, but not limited to: business growth planning, government contracting guidance, international trade guidance, sources of capital, and social media strategy guidance. For more information contact the Gallatin TSBDC office at (615) 230-4780.

Gallatin Economic Development Agency

Recognizing that business is the lifeblood of any community, the Gallatin Economic Development Agency is committed to developing new business and helping exisiting business thrive. Gallatin Economic Development Agency actively recruits new business to the area, helps new and exisiting businesses grow, and ensures that these businesses remain the area to continue serving the economic interests of the Gallatin community. 

Expansion and relocation decisions demand careful analysis – tax and regulartory climate, workforce, infrastructure, and innovation – all part of the growth equation. That’s where Gallatin EDA comes in! Their team can assist with providing answers at the speed of business, connecting site selectors, employers, and members of the workforce for maximum mutual benefit. The Gallatin EDA office is located in Gallatin City Hall at 132 West Main Street, Gallatin. For more information, contact their office at (615) 451-5940.

State of Tennessee Economic and Community Development

The Tennessee Department of Economic and Community Development (TNECD) exisits to develop strategies which help make Tennessee the number one location in the Southeast for high quality jobs. The TNECD seeks to attract new corporate investment in Tennessee and works with Tennessee companies to faciliate expansion and economic growth.

In addition to developing strategies for successful growth, the TNECD also offers a number of valuable resources for those looking to start or expand their business in Tennessee. For starters, they offer a helpful and detailed Start Up Guide that can be viewed online as well as printed. Understanding that the challenges entrepreneurs face are often intimidating, they also office a step-by-step How To Start a Business Guide as well as a Small Business Resource Map, pinning availalbe resource sites availalbe across the state. 

For more information on TNECD, their mission, and services, you can contact their office at (615) 741-1888.

US Small Business Administration

The U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) has delivered millions of loans, loan guarantees, contracts, and counseling sessions as well as other forms of assistance to small business. The SBA provides assistance primarily through four programmatic functions: access to capital, entreprenuel development, government contracting, and advocacy. 

Their website is packed full of resources and information for businesses who are just getting started as well as those ready to grow thier business to another level. One of their many valuable resources is thier Resource Guide for Small Business, produced a few times each year with up-to-date information for small business owners. For more information on the SBA and their services, you can visit their Tennessee District Office at 2 International Plaza Drive, Suite 500, Nashville or reach them by phone at (615) 736-5881. 

Permits, Processes, Licenses, Etc.

Business Tax Licenses

Sumner County: This license may be obtained from the Sumner County Clerk’s Office (Business Tax Division) located at 355 North Belvedere Drive (Room 105), Gallatin. For more information, please call (615) 452-4063. 

City of Gallatin: If your business is located inside the City limits of Gallatin, you must also purchase a City license for the City of Gallatin. You can contact them at the following address or telephone number: Gallatin City Hall – City Recorder, 132 West Main Street, Gallatin. (615) 451-5893.

Planning and Zoning

City of Gallatin: If your prospective business location is inside the city limits or planning region, you will need to contact the city planning department: City of Gallatin – Planning Department, 132 West Main Street, Gallatin. (615) 451-5796.

Sumner County: All prospective businesses in the rural areas of the county should contact the Construction & Development Department located at 355 N. Belvedere Dr. #202, (615) 452-1467. Certain home based businesses operated with in the residential structure may qualify as a “home occupation” business, however any business that is operated in a detached or accessory structure would not qualify as a home occupation business. In most cases a small business owner, if current zoning allows for that type of business operation, would not need to re-zone his property. Instead the owner of the property could appear before the Sumner County Board of Zoning Appeals. Other business operations may need to seek a re-zoning based on the size of the operation or the use. For more information, or to discuss which course of action you would need to seek, contact the Construction & Development Department at (615) 452-1467.

Sumner County Assessor’s Office (Personal Property Tax)

This tax is imposed on Businesses’ Tangible Personal Property located within Sumner County. Information concerning the applicability of this Tax and reporting requirements can be obtained by contacting the Sumner County Assessor’s Office at 355 N. Belvedere Drive (Room 206) Gallatin, TN. 37066 or call (615) 452-2412.

Sumner County Health Department

If your business operations in any way involve the purchase, processing or sale of food items, or the cutting, styling or care of hair, a permit may be required by the Sumner County Health Department, located at 1005 Union School Road, Gallatin, TN. 37066 or call (615) 206-1100.

State of Tennessee, Department of Revenue (Sales Tax Registration)

All prospective businesses should contact the Tennessee Department of Revenue, located at the Andrew Jackson State Office Building, Nashville, TN, to determine the applicability of the sales and use tax regulations to the proposed business activity. For further information, call (615) 253-0600.

Employer’s Federal Identification Number

A business operating as a sole proprietorship with no hired employee may satisfy the reporting requirements of the Federal Government under the Social Security Number of the proprietor. However, a partnership, a small business corporation or any business operation with one or more hired employees must obtain an employer’s identification number from the Federal Government. Application may be made to the Internal Revenue Service on form SS-4 which is available at the IRS Office in the United States Federal Courthouse, located at 801 Broadway (Room 134), Nashville, TN. or call 1-800-829-1040. A request should also be made for publications 17 and 334 for information concerning record keeping and reporting requirements for small businesses through the Internal Revenue Service. Detailed information concerning an employer’s reporting and remittance liabilities is contained in publication 15 and Employer’s Circular E. Additional assistance with business-related IRS regulations and reporting requirements are made available through IRS free workshops. These are usually offered once each month in Nashville. For information or to register for the next workshop, contact the IRS at its toll free number, 1-800-829-4933.

State of Tennessee (Board for Licensing Contractors)

Any person, business, or subcontractor making improvements to residential property, or single family units where the job is less than $25,000.00, and requires a permit from the Sumner County (Building Permits) Office, are subject to and must obtain a State of Tennessee Home Improvement License, required by the State of Tennessee Home Improvement Licensing Act. For more information, please call 1-800-544-7693. A person, business or prime contractor performing a construction job in excess of $25,000.00 is subject to and must obtain a State of Tennessee General Contractors License. This license is obtained at The Board of Licensing Contractors located at 500 James Robertson Pkwy. Nashville TN. 37219, or by calling (615) 741-8307. 

This list of information regarding permits and licenses was gathered from the Sumner County Clerk’s website. For a printable version, click here